Popcorn by itself is an easy treat to make for large crowds and is quite light when it comes to calories – unless you love to pour on the melted butter. However, even with plenty of finger-licking butter, popcorn is still a high-fiber snack and certainly won’t hurt your overall meal planning if you eat healthfully at other times. The popcorn you make yourself often has a better texture than the microwaved variety, and you can control how much butter, salt, and seasoning goes on.Without a doubt, the first thing and most important quality you want in great popcorn maker is superb performance. So, are you ready now to make homemade popcorn? If your answer is “yes” then you’ll need to find the popper that works best for your needs. There are many different kinds to choose from. You could go old-school and use the stove, or maybe you love the ease of the microwave but want to forego bags. There are air poppers that actually work faster than a microwave, and electric ones that will let you cook quickly for a crowd.
What are the performance factors that you should analyze before buying a popcorn maker?
One of the performance factors is how easy it is to clean each popcorn maker. Of course, the hot-air popcorn poppers, which use no oil in the cooking process, will be easier to clean. However, countertop models that are oil-using popcorn poppers did take more elbow grease and plenty of soap and water to clean, but they also produced more popcorn.
Each type of popcorn maker has its own appealing qualities and the choice is yours depending on your palate, your diet, the kinds of flavorings you want to add and other factors unique to you and your family.
- 1 Presto 04821 Orville Redenbacher’s Hot Air Popper
- 2 The Original Salbree Microwave Popcorn Popper with Lid, Silicone Popcorn Maker
- 3 Waring Pro WPM10 Professional Popcorn Maker
- 4 West Bend 82505 Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper, 6-Quart
- 5 Wabash Valley Farms Original Silver Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper
- 6 Nostalgia SP660SS Stainless Steel 6-Quart Stir-Pop
- 7 Conclusion
Presto 04821 Orville Redenbacher’s Hot Air Popper
- Pops fast-up to 18 cups of popcorn in less than 2-1/2 minutes with almost no unpopped kernels
- Pops without oil for only 30 calories per two cup serving and 0 calories from fat! That’s 89-percent fewer calories than corn popped in oil. The product video can be reviewed before using the product.
- Easy to clean because it pops with hot air; Base and cover simply wipe clean
- Butter melter doubles as a measuring cup. Please review the User Manual before use.
- Dimension: 28 x 28 inches
- Weight: 11.2 ounces
- Material type: cotton, flannel
- Color: white, red
- Cleaning and usage options: please check
Who/what it’s for
It is perfect for small batches of popcorn and a useful tool for those who do not have time for waiting, e.g. students at the dorm!
- It is super quick
- Simple to use
- Makes excellent (healthy!) popcorn
- Easy to store
- Great design and color
- Easy to keep clean.
- it throws unpopped kernels out of the chamber constantly during the heating process
- don`t make two batches in a row without a few minutes apart, because you may find many unpopped kernels
Convenient, natural and light! Pops regular or gourmet popping corn with hot air, not oil, for a healthy, low-calorie treat! It is fast! Pops up to 18 cups of gourmet corn in less than 2 1/2 minutes. Leaves virtually no un-popped kernels and if it will leave some unpopped it is still a great kitchen accessory.
Price is $24.97.
The Original Salbree Microwave Popcorn Popper with Lid, Silicone Popcorn Maker
- Lose Weight – Live Healthy; if you don’t want to add oil to your microwave popcorn. With this popcorn popper, you have the choice to add oil before or after popping, but it’s never required
- Collapsible Space-Saving Design; allow you to store the popcorn maker in a small drawer and is perfect for RV’s and college dorm rooms
- Convenient Easy-Grab Handles – The Salbree popcorn maker has built-in handles that make it easy to remove from the microwave. Always use caution with removing hot products from a microwave.
- Easy to Use; our popcorn maker is easy to use, easy to clean and easy to store and since it’s silicone, it’s virtually indestructible. It’s also dishwasher safe and BPA free
- Save Money; using the Salbree popcorn popper saves you money versus using bagged popcorn and it helps save the earth from unwanted and extra trash
- Dimension: 8 x 8 x 2.25 inches
- Weight: 9 ounces
- Material type: BPA Free Silicone
- Color: red, white, green, purple, yellow (all color range)
- Cleaning options:
- It is a much healthier option as opposed to using the bags of microwave popcorn
- perfectly popped popcorn without any need for oil or butter while cooking
- it is easy to clean
- compacts down for storage
- and it works great
- the handles get a little hot
- the bowl is too soft and collapses while filled with the popcorn
- the recipe booklet is not included with the popper
- it doesn’t pop all the kernels
Who/what it’s for
It is the best way to get easy microwave popcorn
Microwave popcorn poppers are a really convenient way to have a favorite snack with minimal fuss. The Salbee is easy to store since it is collapsible. It actually can be stored in the microwave along with a microwave lid. The best part is that there are practically no kernels once you figure out the time you need with your wattage on the microwave. This is can be a great product if these are the criteria you are looking for! It can be used every day. If you are base on the principle: No more of the preservatives, artificial taste, and unpopped kernels typically found in bagged microwave popcorn, then this is exactly what you need.
Waring Pro WPM10 Professional Popcorn Maker
- Halogen heater with built-in stirrer system
- Plastic lid/serving bowl combination
- Able to process larger batches up to 20 cups
- Large vents for steam release – keep popcorn dry
- Faster popping time than other units; quick heat-up time
- Dimension: 11.8 x 11.8 x 11.5 inches
- Weight: 5.2 ounces
- Material type: cotton, flannel
- Color: red
- Cleaning options:
Who/what it’s for
a great family movie tradition, a great birthday/Christmas gift
- easy storage and easy to clean, you can lift the cooking pan out of the unit to wash
- handy having all the mess contained in one bowl
- the popping apparatus can be removed, flip over and take the stirrer off, it makes for easier cleaning
- the bowl is somewhat thin and breakable
- you need to set a mug on top to hold the bowl down or stand there and hold it down while popping
- you have to remove the popcorn quickly when you think it is done or it will burn
- kernels and popped corn fall into the heating element very easily
- the plastic clear top doesn’t fit tight enough to the heated base and kernels squeeze through the gap and land on a countertop
Like many customers online you may be looking for replacing an older “stir-crazy” model of a popcorn maker with a new model. So, you will have to make up your mind since you will have to choose among the models/brands that seemed to be the least frustrating. This model may be one that suits your tastes and costs.
West Bend 82505 Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper, 6-Quart
The West Bend Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper is a convenient and efficient way to make tasty popcorn from home. It has its own built-in butter well and a motorized stirring rod to evenly coat your snacks. This electric popcorn holder provides heat-resistant handles for improved safety and convenience. Its base is also heat-resistant to protect your counter tops. The West Bend Stir Crazy Popcorn Popper’s popping surface features a nonstick coating to help make cleaning simple and fast. It offers a 6-quart capacity and is made for easy maintenance. This electric popcorn popper also provides a lid that can be flipped over and used as a serving bowl. It’s a convenient and economical alternative to pricy theater snacks. Now you can make fluffy, light, delectable popcorn in the comfort of your own home.
- Dimension: 10 x 13 x 10 inches
- Weight: 3.4 pounds
- Material type:
- Color: red
- Cleaning options: Clean-up with the Stir Crazy is easy as you just need to wash the lid and wipe down the heating surface. The plastic lid doubles as a serving bowl, which saves on items to clean, and it is also dishwasher-safe so just stick in the top rack when it’s ready to wash. When everything is clean, storage is a breeze as the unit is compact and all the cords wrap around the base. Please check also User Manual [pdf ]
Who it’s for
This is a great way to make enough at home popcorn for friends and family.
- the design is great
- it stores more compactly.
- it heats up quickly and finishes popping in about 4 minutes
- Popcorn pops up nice and crisp
- Oil: not any oil can be used, regular vegetable oil will leave a bad flavor
- Salt: not all salts are the same. Regular table salt is too thick and has a bitter flavor compared to the right popcorn salt
- It is extremely easy to use
- it doesn’t vent as well as it should
- moisture condensates on the sides of the popping bowl, and often the popcorn comes out softer than desired
- You are better off just melting the butter in a bowl and putting it on after the fact. When you put it on the top to melt, it just becomes a mess and makes cleanup tougher
- it makes noise when it pops
In addition, if you dislike microwave popcorn but could not find a popper that worked for any length of time, then this one will be your option. It can be used on a daily basis. It pops within 4 minutes and after flipping the machine over and pressing the bowl “lid”, the bowl becomes the serving dish. If you are looking for an appropriate gift then this will be highly recommended as a gift.
Wabash Valley Farms Original Silver Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper
The Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper brings mouth-watering theater style popcorn into your home. In just three minutes, you can make six quarts of light, flavorful popcorn – twice as much as traditional microwave popcorn! Afraid of burning your popcorn? The Whirley Pop’s patented stirring mechanism prevents sticking and burning by stirring every kernel until it pops. Strategically placed steam vents allow steam to escape while popping so popcorn is always tender and crisp.
- Dimension: 17 x 10 x 8 inches
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Material type: The sturdy aluminum pan has a clip-on lid with a stay-cool wooden handle and a stainless steel stirring system
- Color: red, silver, stainless steel
- Cleaning options: Lid features quick-release clips for easy removal. Simply wipe parts down with a paper towel and store for next use. If necessary, hand-wash with warm, soapy water using a grease-cutting liquid dish soap. Popper is not dishwasher safe. Please also check https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71GZ5LhXLhS.pdf
Who/what it’s for
The popper is well made and large enough to make popcorn for several people.
- super easy to clean (just run a paper towel along the inside),
- great price,
- works pretty well!
- pops up to 24 cups of popcorn in a short period of time
- heats fast using medium heat
- Instructions included
- You need very little oil, and you can use the popcorn of your choice
- The sleeve or ferrule and the gears are light plastic and seem to be easily broken
- the parts are small, and for people with poor vision or dexterity, it might be problematic
Face it, sometimes the best thing about going out to a movie is the popcorn, those big plump kernels that always seem so much better than what you pop at home. But this simple stovetop popper changes all that. It really does make awesome, fresh-popped corn that might make you start renting videos instead. The sturdy aluminum pan has a clip-on lid with a stay-cool wooden handle. A turn crank on the handle spins the key element: the stainless steel stirring system that keeps the corn moving across the bottom of the pan, for even heat and oil distribution, ensuring the best popping results. The lid has steam vents, to help keep the popcorn dry and crisp. The enclosed booklet is a wonderful resource, with not only clear and detailed instructions but also dozens of recipes and popcorn history and lore. These are folks who really do know their popcorn, and the results are outstanding.
Price is $27.99
Nostalgia SP660SS Stainless Steel 6-Quart Stir-Pop
It is really important for you to decide why do you need a popcorn maker. If you are focusing on quality time spent with your family, then this popcorn maker will help to your purpose. And this is why:
- It pops up to 24-cups of popcorn per batch
- Perfect for use with all Nostalgia Popcorn Kits! (Theater Hot Air & Kettle Kit-KPK400, 4-ounce Premium Popcorn Pack-KPP24, PCJ30-Soft-shelled Popping Kernels, PPB600-Reusable Popcorn Bowls)
- Motorized stirring rod
- Vents allow moisture to escape
- Easy-to-clean non-stick cook plate with cool-touch handles
- Flip popcorn maker over, the lid becomes a bowl
- Make popcorn, kettle corn, roasted nuts, and a lot more
- Dimension: 11 x 10 x 10.5 inches
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Material Type: Stainless Steel
- Color: Stainless Steel
- Cleaning and usage options: please check User Manual [pdf ]
Who/what it’s for
Perfect For The Family. This large popcorn maker is perfect for movie night!
- There’s an on-off switch, which is a nice safety feature, as you can plug/unplug unit without arcs/sparks/excitement. Safe to leave plugged in on a counter if you wish.
- Built-in cord storage on bottom, with a space for the male plug. A bit fiddly to use at first, am now used to it and easily done.
- Smaller footprint than Stir Crazy – diameter of a unit is less [it IS taller] so less shelf/counter/storage space – especially considering cord storage.
- The stirrer can be removed easily for cleaning but you have to flip the entire popper when the cook cycle is complete
- The sweep arm is too high to move the kernels and popcorn
- It doesn’t have a timer on it so you have to stand there to cook it
So if you want to bring the family together then with this popcorn maker and bowl in one may be your best option! Its design with a built-in stirring rod moves the popcorn through the oil preventing the popcorn from burning if the right kernels are used. Simply add oil, salt, and popcorn kernels and in about five minutes you will have a perfect batch of delicious popcorn.
Price is only $29.99
Popcorn poppers create a relatively healthy treat because they require less oil and preservatives than prepackaged popcorn. Investing in the best popcorn maker in your household can also save you money and be better for you long term than prepackaged or concession-stand popcorn. It is sure to be a popular attraction for your family and friends during parties, movie nights or other fun gatherings.